Mon Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce | One Chamber Plaza | Charleroi, PA 15022 | 724-483-3507 | members@mvrchamber.org | Facebook Connect On Facebook!

Member Spotlight: March, 2010—Monongahela Valley Hospital

Member Spotlight

Left to right: Armand Ferrara, Chamber President, Deb Keefer, Chamber Director, Donna Ramusivich, Senior Vice President, Monongahela Valley Hospital, Louis J. Panza Jr., President and CEO, Monongahela Valley Hospital.

Hospital care in the mid-Monongahela Valley was born on December 18, 1902 when the original Memorial Hospital of Monongahela opened in New Eagle. The Charleroi-Monessen Hospital soon followed with a 1909 opening. Monongahela Valley Hospital is rooted in a tradition of innovation and community care dating back to the full consolidation of Charleroi-Monessen Hospital and Memorial Hospital of Monongahela in 1972. Ground was broken for construction of the new Monongahela Valley Hospital on May 17, 1976. The current 224-bed acute care facility was officially dedicated on September 24, 1978 and opened its doors in Carroll Township.

Today, Monongahela Valley Hospital offers a medical staff of more than 220 physicians representing more than 40 medical specialties. Its mission is to enhance the health of the residents of the mid-Monongahela Valley area.

The hospital has grown to include a regional cancer center (the first such facility in Washington County), the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center and a four-story parking garage. The AML Education Conference Center, part of the three-story Multi-Purpose Office Building which opened in the Fall of 1989, serves as a learning resource and support facility for the community. It features technolocially-advanced audio-visual equipment, food service facilities and seating for as many as 300 persons.

In responding to the ever-changing needs of area residents, Mon-Vale Health Resources, Inc., parent organization of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Inc., constructed a modern assisted living community, The Residence At Hilltop, on the site of the former Hilltop Drive-In theatre in Carroll Township. The facility opened in June 1997.

The health system also opened a medically integrated facility, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, at Willow Point Plaza in Rostraver Township in 2004. The complex includes Monongahela Valley Hospital Center for Fitness and Health; the Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease; HealthPLEX Imaging; the MVH Occupational Health program; a cardiopulmonary rehabilitation center; physician offices, and the headquarters for Vale-U-Health, the Monongahela Valley Physician Hospital Organization.

In partnership with CPSR Associates, MVHR also is part of the Spartan Health system which operates Mon Valley Care Center and the Spartan Health Facility in Carroll Township.

MVHR is a vital link to Mon Valley organizations that serve its citizens and businesses. The Mon Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce has relied on the generosity of the hospital for many years to further its mission, and is proud to name MVHR March’s Member Spotlight.