The story of the progress of the Charleroi Elks #494 is an interesting and an engaging one. The charter was granted on May 24, 1899 and the first meetings were in the Masonic Building (known now as the Collins Building located on the corner of 5th and McKean). At that time, the Elks met instant success. Later, when the quarters were transferred to the Charleroi Savings & Trust Building, plans were put into action for a new club home. In 1904 construction on the present building was begun and its’ completion and dedication followed in 1905. Over the years the Elks Ballroom has seen many auspicious Charleroi occasions. It remains to be one of the most beautiful buildings in the Mon Valley. The interior of the home has never been changed and still has an atmosphere of ultra-sophistication. The Elks still rents out all the rooms of the building, such as the Main Ballroom, the Victorian room, and the Downstairs Ballroom. The upstairs bar is open to all members and guests. Through the years the Elks has had its challenges, but always seems to spring back to the place that it used to be. The Elks now has Marianne Coulson managing the kitchen and the catering. Marianne has been in the food service and catering business throughout the Valley and is a wonderful addition to the Elks. The Charleroi Elks is located at 301 Fallowfield Avenue and can be reached at 724-483-4727.