Excerpts from article by Ron Paglia For the Tribune Review
The Charleroi Community Park Trustees are being honored in the Chamber’s February Member Spotlight for their long time affiliation with the Chamber. Also being recognized is the outstanding riverfront recreational facilities they provide to the community of Charleroi and the Mon Valley. The facility includes three baseball fields, playgrounds, an observatory deck overlooking the Monongahela River, a boat ramp leading to the river, picnic pavilions, and a gazebo.
Veterans Memorial Field, a professional size layout and one of the classiest baseball diamonds in the region, is the cornerstone of the recreational park. It was constructed, dedicated and opened in 1958 and has been home to such teams as the Charleroi Merchants of the Mon Valley League, the Charleroi Magicians and other American Legion junior teams, and Charleroi Area High School's Cougars.
In February of 1955 the Charleroi Chamber of Commerce officially deeded 4.14 acres of its property adjacent to the new parking lot, which opened in 1953, to an independent Trust; that is a governing body that would operate privately with funds generated by the Board of Trustees.
While the Board of Trustees has involved many volunteers over the years, Ron Monack is only the third chairman in the last 45 years. Jay Morton (Lebowitz) was at the helm from 1954-68, William H. (Bill) Cominsky served from 1968-1992, and Monack has been the leader the past 17 years."It's always been, and will continue to be, volunteers people willing to devote their time and energy or the enhancement of the park and, more important, the benefit of our community and its people," Monack said.
The current complex also includes a youth baseball field for such programs as T-Ball and another field for Pony Baseball age groups. The Pony layout was dedicated in honor and memory of William Cominsky following is death on December 20, 2008 at the age of 90. That field also is used by Charleroi Area High's women's softball team.